The Worcester Wolves Bounce Back – February Update
The Wolves delighted fans with a win over the Manchester Giants in their latest match on the 19th February. This was their 4th game of the week but there was no sign of tiredness in their impressive performance. The atmosphere was tremendous at the University of Worcester Arena as a large crowd cheered the team to success.
Coach, Paul James, was pleased to see the team back on top, saying: “I’m delighted. We’ve had a rough run lately, but turned things around tonight.
“We were solid defensively and on offense we got back to sharing the ball more. Sixteen assists in the first half alone shows that we were making extra passes for each other and it paid off with lots of scoring opportunities.”
This was a mirror image of the game won by Newcastle three weeks ago. In that game Newcastle overwhelmed the Wolves with scorers from all over the pack. This contrasted with the win by Wolves on the 22nd January that brought a halt to Newcastle’s 28-match unbeaten run. This pattern of wins and reversals has continued throughout the year so far, but after a shaky start the Wolves seem to be gaining confidence and working well as a team.
Latest Results (Year to date)
- 19th Feb 2016 - Worcester Wolves 83 - 70 Manchester Giants
- 16th Feb 2016 - London Lions 80 - 72 Worcester Wolves
- 14th Feb 2016 - Worcester Wolves 88 - 94 Newcastle Eagles
- 12th Feb 2016 - Worcester Wolves 69 - 81 Sheffield Sharks
- 7th Feb 2016 - Manchester Giants 74 - 79 Worcester Wolves
- 5th Feb 2016 - Newcastle Eagles 73 - 66 Worcester Wolves
- 31st Jan 2016 - Worcester Wolves 85 - 66 Glasgow Rocks
- 29th Jan 2016- Leeds Force - - Worcester Wolves
- 24th Jan 2016 - Surrey Scorchers 88 - 96 Worcester Wolves
- 22nd Jan 2016 - Worcester Wolves 94 - 80 Newcastle Eagles
- 15th Jan 2016- Sheffield Sharks 85 - 75 Worcester Wolves
- 10th Jan 2016 - Cheshire Phoenix 94 - 85 Worcester Wolves
- 9th Jan 2016 - Bristol Flyers 76 – 83 Worcester Wolves
- 2nd Jan 2016- Surrey Scorchers 92 -108 Worcester Wolves
What’s next for Worcester Wolves?
The Wolves are enjoying a much needed 2-week break for rest and recuperation before traveling for a game with Leeds Force this Friday, 4 March. Their next outing at the University of Worcester Arena will be on Friday 18 March when Plymouth Raiders visit the city. Ensure you book your tickets to this game early to avoid disappointment if tickets sell out fast. At most home games, Gtech give away an AirRam cordless vacuum cleaner in the raffle that happens at half time.
Coach James is looking forward to the rest period and to the following games, saying: “It’s been quite a stretch of matches recently. The players need a rest. They’ll have 3 or 4 days to themselves now before we come back to training and start looking towards the playoffs.”
Gtech has been a lead sponsor of the Worcester Wolves basketball team since August 2015. We'll be keeping tabs on the Wolves' progress throughout the season.