How to Get Rid of Insects at Home - Home Remedies | Gtech
Are you fed up of getting rid of insects from your home on what feels like a daily basis? We share your pain. While the easy option might be to reach for a shoe or rolled-up newspaper, these aren’t exactly the most humane options. That’s why we’ve created a guide on how to get rid of insects from your home in the most friendliest ways possible. From simple deterrents to natural remedies, your house will be bug-free in no time.
Prevent insects from getting into your home
Preventing insects from getting into your home in the first place is one of the more effective ways to keep your home bug-free. A dirty home is an insect’s paradise - keeping your house tidy and cleaning regularly can help keep bugs at bay. Here are some tips for preventing insects from getting into your home:
- Make sure you clean all dirty dishes, not letting them pile up day after day.
- Clean any food spillages on surfaces as soon as you can.
- If you’re leaving food out, make sure you keep it covered.
- Vacuum regularly – keep all the corners of your home (and everything in between!) clean.
The cleaner you keep your house, the less likely you are to have to deal with insects. For more advice on cleaning your home quickly and easily, check out our quick cleaning routine.
How to stop flies, ants, spiders, and wasps coming into the house
The saying goes ‘prevention is better than a cure’. But what should you do if you’re unable to prevent insects from getting into your home? In the UK, most insects are harmless, but many people would prefer not to share their home with them. Find out how to get rid of bugs from your home humanely.
How to remove ants from home
Ants can cause havoc in your home, but it’s possible to get rid of them without killing them. Often, ants are attracted to sweet flavours, so try to avoid having sugary food or drinks left out around your home. If you notice a group or trail of ants in your home, try using one of these home remedies for ants:
1. Work out how the ants are getting into your house, whether it’s through windows, doors or small cracks in the walls.
2. Squeeze lemon juice into any cracks around the walls, and around the edges of your doors and windows.
3. Scatter small pieces of lemon peel outside, to show the ants that you don’t want them coming in again.
Continue to spray some lemon juice every few days until the ants have completely gone – fill a spray bottle with a mixture of water and lemon juice to make things easier!
Knowing how to get rid of insects like wasps isn’t always easy. If you notice a nest on your roof, act quickly to remove it - we recommend contacting a professional to it. There are natural ways to prevent insects from gathering around your home or garden. If you’re wondering how to get rid of wasps naturally, we’ve got a few handy tips:
- Wasps are attracted to sweet smells, so be sure to clean up any spillages or crumbs quickly if you eat outside. Fizzy drinks, cake crumbs and leftover fruit will attract insects like wasps, so it’s important to get rid of any temptations as soon as possible.
- Some plants actively repel wasps – they won’t harm them but they’ll discourage the wasps from building a nest in your garden, as well as from visiting. Eucalyptus is a great addition to your garden and is really easy to grow and maintain. The odour it releases smells great to humans but will prevent insects like wasps from coming near.
- Go natural with essential oils which will stop flies coming into your house and get rid of wasps in a humane way. By using oils such as peppermint, you can deter wasps from building nests in your garden. Add a few drops to any large holes in your walls, around your roof and gutters and in any outhouses or garden sheds. The smell will get rid of wasps and will give the area a burst of fresh fragrance, too! Use this technique to create a homemade insect repellent.
How to remove spiders from home
While they’re technically not insects, spiders are a common uninvited guest to a lot of homes. Spiders are great at getting rid of bugs around your home and do a lot of work, so you don’t have to. But, if you’re not keen on having them in your home, there’s a simple way of removing them:
1. Find a cup and piece of sturdy card.
2. Guide the spider towards the cup with the card.
3. Once the spider is in the cup, cover the top with the card so it can’t escape.
4. Head outside, and release the spider (flowerbeds are a great place to do this).
5. If the spider is hiding at the bottom of the cup, simply leave the cup and collect it later when the spider has left.
If you would like to know how to stop spiders coming into the home, you can repel them by using a peppermint spray. However, given as they tend to control insect levels in your home, you might want to consider leaving them as they are – if you don’t mind having them in your home, that is!
Stop flies and other insects from coming into your house
Getting rid of bugs from your home can be a time-consuming process, but it doesn’t need to be! By following our advice, you’ll be able to keep your house tidy and free from insects, as well as saving a few little creatures’ lives along the way. With some of our natural techniques, you can create your own homemade insect repellant to keep the away.
Does your vacuum not work as well as it once did? At Gtech we have a range of cordless vacuum cleaners to suit you. Explore our range today.